July is Social Wellness Month.
Social wellness is defined as one’s ability to effectively interact with those around him/herself and to create a support system that includes friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, etc. An optimal level of social wellness allows one to build healthy relationships with others. Maintaining social wellness allows one to foster connections with individuals, while contributing to one’s sense of belonging, These bonds are important for one’s own health and well being.
Your health is a combination of physical, mental, and social well-being.
Fostering Social Wellness
- Have a support network of family and friends
- Create boundaries within relationships that encourage communication, trust, and conflict management
- Value diversity and treat others with respect
- Development of assertive skills
- Balancing social and personal time
- Ability to be yourself in all situations
- Continually able to maintain and develop friendships and social networks
Positive social habits can help you build support systems and stay healthier. Here are some tips for connecting with others: