Schrock Medical, Healthy Habits – Sleep
Healthy habits start with sleep.
Schrock healthy sleep habits starts with optimizing your sleep. Improve your health and reduce inflammation by improving your sleep routine. If you’ve been experiencing sleep disturbances, you are probably now aware that your circadian rhythm could use some love. Have you ever noticed when you get poor sleep your appetite increases?
It’s true, the hormone ghrelin increases and actually causes you to crave things like high sugar carbs. The hormone leptin, which is the satiety hormone also decreases leaving you feeling unsatisfied. Your stress hormone cortisol is also elevated. So if you struggle with intense cravings, weight gain and increased stress it would be wise to analyze your sleep routine! Below are some signs that your sleep needs help, and some tips to help improve your sleep quality. If you find nothing works, then it may be time to consult with a professional like your doctor who can refer you to a sleep specialist.
Some signs your sleep cycle is out of whack:
- Chronic fatigue, low energy, daytime sleepiness
- Trouble falling or staying asleep
- Weight gain
- Cravings for high carb, high fat, processed foods
- Always reaching for energy drinks, or coffee
- Poor immunity
- Impaired judgment
- Mood disorders (depression, anxiety, etc.)
- Digestive distress and dysfunction
- Body aches
- Low libido
You can work to optimize your sleep routine by working with one of Schrock Medical Clinics providers. They can customize a treatment plan to help address your sleep issues.
Use these tips to help improve your sleep:
- Create a dark room (pitch black)
- Ensure your room is cool
- Stop eating 3 hrs. before bed
- Unplug from devices 1 hr. before bed
- Consider supplements like Natural Calm or Insomnitol to help relax and unwind
- Use an app. or manually track number of hours slept